I imagine my recipe testing may follow a completely different process in a few months. For my early followers joining me in my raw journey, you will be witness to my past, present and who I’m yet to become.
Okay that was a little deep…. but really let’s take this recipe as an example, Budin has always been made in my family like holiday cookies might have been a part of yours.
Poached Pear Budin
- Thermometer- Optional
- Bundt Pan
- Hotel Pan- or other baking pan
- 12 Rolls Sweet Potato Chancay (Cubbed) Can substitute with any bread.
- 1 Can Evaporated Milk Or use other milk alternative (12oz)
- 1 C Poaching liquid Okay to use milk or canning liquid if using canned fruit.
- 4 Poached Pears
- 5 Eggs
- ½ Candied Pecans Or non-candied
- 3 Pods Cardamom (toasted) Or ¼ tsp ground Cardamom
- 2 C Sugar Use less if using sweetened canning liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 350° Add water to a baking pan (hotel pan) filling it about half way. You will use this for you bane marie (water bath) where your bundt pan will sit. Place it in the oven while you prepare the recipe. Also place your Bundt pan in the oven to keep warm.
- Gather and measure your ingredients.
- Add 1 cup of sugar and a ½ cup of water to a pan on medium low heat. Once it starts to once it starts to boil keep a close eye on it. When it turns a medium dark caramel color, remove from heat so it does not burn. Quickly add it to your baking pan (typically a Bundt pan). Move it around to cover the bottom and sides and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan add milk, poaching liquid and cardamom pods. Bring to a simmer then remove from the heat and allow to steep for 5 minutes.
- Add the milk infusion to the cubed bread in a large mixing bowl. poaching liquid. Mix the bread around making sure all is coated and let it soak for 20 minutes.
- Once all of the liquid has been absorbed, add the eggs and 1 cup of sugar. Mash the bread with your hands until there are no large chunks visible.
- Then add in 2 diced poached pears. Stir to evenly distribute the pear chunks. Now, add it to your Bundt pan and place it in the center of your bane marie. Bake until the internal temperature is 160° or an inserted knife comes out clean when inserted in a central part of the Budin. About 1 hour.
- Once cooked through, remove from the oven and let it cool. To remove from the pan you will need to run a knife around the edges to loosen it. Then use a large plate to on top of your Bundt pan to flip it over onto the plate. you can serve this warm or cold. You may also choose to add some sliced poached pears on top with some whip cream or for a real sweet tooth, add caramel. It is also delicious on its own.